Atkinson is reviving the Basketball Program! Registration is now open for all players, including K-2 students for the open gyms and grade 3-5 players for team play. Cost to register is sliding scale, $0-$50 per student. No prior basketball experience is necessary – everyone is welcome!
Register here by November 23th. Open gyms and league practices/games will start the last week of November and continue until Spring break with a pause during the Winter break. All sessions will take place in the Atkinson gym.
The basketball league for 3rd through 5th grade students is contingent on recruiting enough volunteers to make it run successfully. Our main need for volunteers are coaches and assistant coaches (we need 6 more). Please consider volunteering. Volunteer descriptions are listed below, and a volunteers sign-up sheet can found here.
Responsible for all program equipment, including: uniforms, balls, ball pumps, pinneys, and first aid supplies. Requires an inventory at the end of season of uniforms, with a recommendation to the organizer on any required uniform replacement. Requires an inventory of all other equipment prior to the start of the program and a recommendation to the organizer of any required purchases.
Responsible for initial promotion of start of program in school, including the creation and distribution of registration materials/information, collection of all registrations, and forming teams.
Collect coach schedule requirements, assemble practice and game schedules, responsible for sending communications to program participants and coaches.
Plan, schedule, and execute an awards banquet, including food and awards. Perform as MC (or designate). This event will happen in March.
K–2 Supervisors / Coaches
Supervise open gym / lead basic basketball fundamentals and scrimmages for 1.5–2 hours each week. Open gyms will likely be from 4:30–5:30 p.m. one day a week. Interested volunteers should include their preferred days in the Google sign-up sheet.
- Lead a team of 8–12 Atkinson students participating in the program.
- Send parents communications about team schedule and expectations.
- Participate in the player’s clinic to assess player’s skills and work with other coaches to determine which players will be on the various teams.
- Participate in the coach trainings/meetings (around once a month).
- Lead practices and games (typically 1 practice and 1 game each week, for approximately 2.5 hours).
- The practices will happen during the open gym times (M, F 4:30–7:30 p.m.; T, W, Th 4:30–6 p.m.). Interested volunteers should note preferred practice and game times in the Google sign up sheet.
- Implement Atkinson Basketball Program rules and expectations.
- No prior coaching experience required; ideally one of the coaches will have a basic knowledge and experience of basketball.
Responsible for refereeing at least 1–2 games each month; ideally once a week (January through March).
For questions, contact the Basketball Program Chair: Adam Moore, firstname.lastname@example.org