Thank you for your interest in volunteering! There are many ways to get involved at Atkinson. Please consider taking on one of the available volunteer jobs listed below.*
* Please note: All volunteers in Portland Public Schools (PPS) must have a current background check on file with PPS before volunteering in the school. Background checks must be done every 3 years to remain current. To update your background check or to apply for the first time, please complete the FREE volunteer background screening by going to the school office or click here.
Once your background check has cleared, you will receive notification from PPS and be eligible to start volunteering in the school. Each time you volunteer at Atkinson, you must go to the school office to sign in and pick up a volunteer ID badge to wear. Please remember to return the badge to the school office and sign out when you’re done for the day. Following this protocol helps ensure a safe environment for our students, staff and community. Thank you!
OPEN Atkinson PTA Board Positions:
To learn more about these leadership opportunities below, please contact the PTA President for details. No experience necessary; we’ll provide training and support!
PTA Fundraising Chair: The Atkinson PTA Board is looking for a volunteer to serve as our Fundraising Chair. Responsibilities include:
- Attend PTA board and general membership meetings
- Prepare and give the fundraising report at general membership meetings
- Promote and Facilitate fundraising activities as needed.
PTA Hospitality Chair: The Atkinson PTA Board is looking for a Hospitality Chair. Responsibilities include:
- Attend PTA board and general membership meetings
- Coordinate 2 summer park playdates for incoming kindergarten families.
- Coordinate volunteers to assist the school office in assembling Welcome packets at the beginning of the school year.
- Coordinate lunch for teachers during Fall conferences.
- Attend Kindergarten Connect meetings in February/ March to staff PTA table and talk to new families about Atkinson PTA.
- Coordinate activities for Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week in May (i.e. setting up a card writing station in the lobby, coordinating delivery of coffee/muffins/ fruit tray to the teacher and staff lounge at the beginning of the week)
Programs Chair/Co-Chair: The Atkinson PTA Board is looking for a Programs Chair/Co-Chair. Responsibilities include:
- Assists officers in ensuring the following Special Committee Chairs have received “Program Operating Procedures” information and turned in a plan of work before work begins.
- Works with Treasurer to review final spending of PTA programs/committees upon completion of their work and reports back to board on findings.
- Invites PTA program chairs and on-site after school program vendors to staff information table at Fall Social.
- Encourages committee/program chairs to create program procedure notebook to hand on to next volunteer
- Works with Principal to explore opportunities for partnering with during-school day and after school-day program providers to offer enrichment classes for students and reports findings to board.
- Explores options and community interest in having parents provide rotating classes of interest (free of charge) to students after school.
- Presents ‘Programs Report’ at PTA meetings.
Past Board Member at Large: The Atkinson PTA Board is looking for a Past Board Member at Large. Responsibilities include:
- Acts as the Board liaison for and oversees the work of the following Special Committees: OLG and Earthquake Preparedness.
- Acts as a resource for the current board to understand recent history of prior board and/or Special Committee work
- Contacts Site Council to establish a communication link between the two groups and sends/ receives updates as needed
The auction is our PTA’s largest fundraiser of the year, and there are many ways you can help make it a success. We need volunteers to: seek sponsorships for the auction, donate items or services, contact local businesses for donations, enter donations in the auction database, and help with set-up and clean-up for the event. The auction is held in the Spring (watch for a save-the-date announcement early in the school year), but preparing for the auction begins a few months before the event. If you’re interested in helping out in any way, please contact the PTA’s Auction Co-Chairs Jasmin Kratzer or Jennie Brittain for more information about this year’s auction plans. Or visit our Auction website.
ATKINSON OUTDOOR LEARNING GARDENS (OLG)
Atkinson’s Outdoor Learning Gardens (OLG) is looking to grow new leadership participants with guidance and support from the current chair and committee. If you’re interested, please come to an OLG Meeting at Rain or Shine Coffee House (located at SE 60th and Division St.) from 9-10am on the third Friday of the month. There are many ways to lead in this diverse program and all are welcome! Contact OLG Co-Chair Becky Rall for details.
ATKINSON RUNNING CLUB
Starting September 22nd, the Atkinson Running Club will be held most Fridays during the K-2 and 3-5 recess periods. Come out to the playground to help record students’ laps and cheer them on as they work towards their running goals for the school year. For more information, contact the PTA Running Club Coordinator, Sheryl Walsh.
ATKINSON BASKETBALL PROGRAM
The Atkinson PTA Basketball Program is a great way for students to learn and play basketball. All 3rd, 4th and 5th grade boys and girls at Atkinson are invited to sign up and play. The program takes place in winter and relies on volunteer coaches, assistants, and referees. To volunteer with this fun program, please contact the PTA Basketball Program Coordinator, Linda Macpherson.
Atkinson Amigos is a parent group for families in the Spanish Immersion Program. The Amigos group coordinates cultural celebrations at Atkinson such as Día de los muertos (early November), Día de los tres reyes (early January), and Día de los niños (late April). To volunteer with the Amigos, please contact Fernando Rodriguez.
FALL HARVEST AND WELLNESS CELEBRATION
The PTA’s Fall Social Event combines the fun of celebrating the Harvest Season with a passport style series of activity stations highlighting the many wellness activities at the school. Kids get stamps at each of the stations to redeem a prize at the end. Costumes are welcomed as part of the celebration. Volunteers are needed to help plan the event, staff the stations, procure refreshments, set up and clean up. For more information or to volunteer, please contact the event coordinator, Sheryl Walsh.
EARTHQUAKE PREPAREDNESS COMMITTEE
In the 2015–16 school year, a group of concerned Atkinson parents began brainstorming ways to come together, organize, and prepare the school in the event of an earthquake. Over time, we have developed an Earthquake Preparedness Committee. Some of the goals of our committee include Earthquake Preparedness Education, Gathering of Supplies/Donations, Non-Structural Mitigation, Reunification Drills. There is still much work that needs to be done and there are many ways to support this effort! Our committee will meets every other month. For more information, please contact Susan Romanski or Jamie Busch .